Maple Ridge BC Canada
Celebrating Summer in the Pacific Northwest - June 22, 2008
A caboose (North American railway terminology) or brake van or guard's van (British terminology) is a manned rail transport vehicle coupled at the end of a freight train. Although cabooses were once used on nearly every freight train in North America, their use has declined and they are seldom seen on trains, except on locals and smaller railroads. The caboose provided the train crew with a shelter at the rear of the train. They could exit the train for switching or to protect the rear of the train when stopped. They also looked out windows to inspect the train for problems such as shifting loads, broken or dragging equipment, and overheated journals (hot boxes). The conductor kept records and handled business from a table or desk in the caboose. For longer trips the caboose provided minimal living quarters, and was very frequently personalized and decorated with pictures and posters.
Early cabooses were nothing more than flat cars with small cabins erected on them, or modified box cars. The standard form of the American caboose had a platform at either end with curved grab rails to facilitate train crew members' ascent onto a moving train. A caboose was fitted with red lights called markers to enable the rear of the train to be seen at night. This has led to the phrase bringing up the markers to describe the last car on a train (these lights were officially what made a train a "train.")
Cabooses are non-revenue equipment and were often improvised or retained well beyond the normal lifetime of a freight car. Tradition on many lines held that the caboose should be painted a bright red, though on many lines it eventually became the practice to paint cabooses in the same corporate colors as locomotives.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Photos - A last look at the Coquitlam Trainyard: Frame left - A dozen or so track maintenance cars lined up without a Locomotive to move it about, and a Caboose still in use. I was surprised to see CP 434418 still leading a productive existence when most of it's counterparts have been decommissioned.
Photos - The Alisha stables barn at the corner of 128th avenue and 216th street in Maple Ridge covered with a tin roof and sides clad in cedar shingles. The folks here board horses in this old New England style barn.
Next stop is Stave Falls Dam along Dewdney Trunk road. The Dewdney Trunk Road was one of the earliest major roads in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia, Canada, originally running from Port Moody to its original destination at Dewdney, just east of Mission.
Photos - L-R - Trifolium Pratense (Red Clover) next to the Stave Falls Dam in Mission BC. This is a European species now widely established at low to mid elevations. This Plant is commonly found at roadsides, open fields and disturbed sites. In some farm areas, these plants have been planted to help erosion control or to increase soil fertility.
Looking northeast from the parking lot next to Stave Falls Dam along the body of Stave Lake. The Stave Falls Dam and powerhouse are nestled in a mountainous valley north of the mighty Fraser river, near Mission. The dam is part of the Stave Falls-Alouette-Ruskin generating complex. In the 1890's the 24m (84 ft.) drop to the lower Stave River at the falls was seen to be a potential source of water power. Permission to exploit this source was granted in 1895 to the Stave Lake Electric and Power Co. Ltd., through an act of provincial legislation, for the purpose of generating electricity to use either for electric lighting, motive power or other work. Then in 1900 Stave Lake Power Co. (est. 1899) obtained the right to generate power from the Stave River and its tributaries by grand order of council. Although Stave Lake Power Co. had a different name than its predecessor the Stave Lake Electric and Power Co., it's widely believed that they were one and the same company.
Trifolium Repens (White Clover) also
an introduced species of Clover found in waste areas and roadsides, often
competing with the Red Clover species. This is a perennial herb with 3 oval
shaped leaflets (rarely 4) up to about 2 cm long, finely toothed at the terminal
of a leaf stalk up to 14 cm long. The flower heads are whitish to slightly
pinkish, pea-like in dense round long stalked heads up to 2 cm in diameter.
Other important links
The views expressed here are not necessarily the views of ernestartist.org
Ernestartist.org assumes no liability for experimental use of medicinal plants, food plants or herbal remedies.
Comments, suggestions, Outrage? contact firstname.lastname@example.org
© Tanner Photo 2001 - 2008
© Ernestartist 2001 - 2008
All rights reserved.